Vedanta is pioneering the development of a new class of therapies that act by modulating the human microbiome. Modulation of the human microbiota holds enormous promise to treat a broad range of immune, infectious, and metabolic diseases in ways that are completely different to existing drug classes. Breakthrough discoveries of our scientific team in the field of mucosal immunology have led to the first rationally designed drug candidates in the microbiome field. Vedanta was founded by PureTech Ventures and a team of world renowned experts in immunology and microbiology.
Position Description / Responsibilities
Vedanta is looking for a talented microbiologist to translate basic research and translational medicine discoveries into new treatments for a range of immune and infectious diseases. The candidate will develop in vitro studies designed to assess the candidacy of commensal bacteria for advancement in therapeutic programs. The principal activities of this role will be to expand Vedanta’s Discovery Platform through the isolation of novel microbes, development of assays to evaluate host-microbe and microbe-microbe interactions, and execution of high-throughput screens. The Scientist will interface with other microbiologists, bioinformaticians, and immunologists in the program development. In addition, this role will help drive strategic research decisions. The job title and level will correspond to education level, work experience, and skills of the selected candidate.
- PhD in microbiology or molecular biology with a focus on bacteriology.
- Expertise in anaerobic bacteriology, prokaryotic physiology, and metabolism required.
- Experience working with human commensal microbes and general understanding of the human microbiome field required.
- Previous research experience with microbiological techniques (anaerobic culture, genotypic/phenotypic characterization) as well as molecular biology methods (nucleic acid isolation, amplification, and analysis) required.
- Experience with high-throughput sequencing technology platforms (e.g., Illumina) preferred.
- Strong communication and presentation skills are required.
- Strong publication record.
- Highly organized and motivated individual. Must be a team player, able to work well in a group setting as well as independently in a fast-paced environment.