Research associate, infectious diseaseS
Vedanta is pioneering the development of a new class of therapies that act by modulating the human microbiome. Modulation of the human microbiota holds enormous promise to treat a broad range of immune, infectious, and metabolic diseases in ways that are completely different from existing drug classes. Breakthrough discoveries of our scientific team in the field of mucosal immunology have led to the first rationally designed drug candidates in the microbiome field. Vedanta was founded by PureTech Ventures and a team of world renowned experts in immunology and microbiology.
Position Description / Responsibilities
The Research Associate will conduct studies in the microbiology laboratory to bolster the research and development unit of Vedanta Biosciences. The principal activities of this role will be to develop and execute assays to functionally characterize bacterial compositions across diverse disease areas using in vitro platforms as well as mouse models of infection. Responsibilities include execution of microbiology-based assays, animal handling, substance administration and tissue collection. Additionally, the RA will support activities involving bacterial culture, PCR, DNA sequencing and general laboratory operations.
- BS required; Master’s degree preferred. Educational emphasis in microbiology, immunology, or molecular biology preferred.
- >3 years of full-time post-graduate experience in a biological sciences laboratory with a focus on microbiology or infectious diseases required.
- >2 years of experience with mouse models including animal procedures (e.g. oral gavage) required.
- Experience with anaerobic and/or BSL2 microbiology required.
- Previous research experience and mastery of basic techniques in molecular microbiology (aseptic technique, nucleic acid purification/detection, PCR, bacterial transformation) and cell culture applications required.
- Highly motivated and organized individual. Must be a team player, able to work well in a group setting as well as independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Applicants with experience in industry and high-throughput applications preferred.
- General understanding of the microbiome is preferred but not required.