Bioinformatics, Research associate
Vedanta is pioneering the development of a new class of therapies that act by modulating the human microbiome. Modulation of the human microbiota holds enormous promise to treat a broad range of immune, infectious, and metabolic diseases in ways that are completely different to existing drug classes. Breakthrough discoveries of our scientific team in the field of mucosal immunology have led to the first rationally designed drug candidates in the microbiome field. Vedanta was founded by PureTech Ventures and a team of world renowned experts in immunology and microbiology.
Position Description / Responsibilities
Vedanta is looking for a talented bioinformatician to help translate discoveries in microbiology and mucosal immunology into new treatments for a range of immune and infectious diseases. The candidate will build and manage relational databases of next-generation sequencing and wet lab data; develop bioinformatics, statistical, and data processing algorithms to analyze next-generation sequencing data in collaboration with clinical and pre-clinical teams; and create scientifically accurate and clear visualizations of sequencing results. The position level will be corresponding to education level, work experience, and skills.
- BSc or MS (preferred) with 3+ years of experience in computational biology, bioinformatics, computer science, or related field.
- Experienced in multiple high-level programming languages (Python, Perl, BASH, C++)
- Database management experience and proficiency in SQL or Oracle is required.
- Experience in the analysis and annotation of microbial genomics, metabolomics, transcriptomics, or metagenomics datasets and associated bioinformatics tools is required.
- Experience with data visualization, presentation, and statistical analysis in R is strongly preferred.
- Hands on molecular biology or next-generation sequencing library preparation experience is favorable.
- Highly organized and motivated individual. Must be a team player, able to work well in a group setting as well as independently in a fast paced environment.