LABORATORY OPERATIONS MANAGER
Vedanta is pioneering the development of a new class of therapies that act by modulating the human microbiome. Modulation of the human microbiota holds enormous promise to treat a broad range of immune, infectious, and metabolic diseases in ways that are completely different to existing drug classes. Breakthrough discoveries of our scientific team in the field of mucosal immunology have led to the first rationally designed drug candidates in the microbiome field. Vedanta was founded by PureTech Ventures and a team of world renowned experts in immunology and microbiology.
Vedanta is rapidly growing our team in Cambridge, Massachusetts and we are seeking a high-energy lab manager who will be responsible for ensuring the smooth operation of the labs and equipment. This is a hands-on position with high management exposure and opportunity for growth.
We are looking for a highly capable, self-directed individual. If you are the kind of person who not only thinks critically about problems and likes to take the initiative to pursue new ideas, you will enjoy working here.
Position Description / Responsibilities
- Manages and oversees the general laboratory environment and ensures that scientific staff has what is required for their experimental needs
- Thinks critically to resolve unique issues revolving around a fast-paced work environment and helps to maintain an environment of collaboration and creativity
- Manages and oversees the maintenance and repair of laboratory equipment. This includes daily maintenance tasks to ensure instruments are working properly, scheduling preventative maintenance and working with technology support from various vendors to troubleshoot equipment issues
- Develops SOPs for the start-up and shutdown of common equipment
- Supports maintenance of the lab computer infrastructure by working with IT to keep software licenses up to date
- Liaises with building facilities staff to ensure smooth operations within the laboratory environment
- Manages laboratory procurement including financial records
- Establishes and maintains relationships with vendor representatives
- Works directly with EHS consultants to manage liquid and solid waste pickups and proper storage of chemical and biohazard waste to ensure a clean and safe working environment
- Manages chemical inventory and keeps various licenses up to date as well as laboratory compliance
- Pilots experimental procedures on demo and new equipment
- Trains staff on equipment usage in compliance with SOPs
- Responsible for lab orientation for new hires
- Familiarity with GMP practices, record keeping, and compliance measures is a bonus
- College degree in a scientific field and/or 6+ years of laboratory management experience
- Highly motivated and organized individual. Must be a team player, able to work well in a group setting as well as independently in a fast-paced environment
- Previous research experience and mastery of basic techniques in molecular biology, immunology, or microbiology applications preferred
- Derives personal pleasure and satisfaction helping others
- Personable and articulate
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills required
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Outlook
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
All other questions or inquiries should also be directed to the same email address.